Monday, June 13, 2011

Trickle Down Economics

Today, I went online to check on my vast wealth, only to discover that it had trickled down another $15 in bank fees. Now I find this totally absurd. My wealth is not in the same league as the US Government, but, all my bill are paid and I actually do have a savings account. That is, I did have a savings account until just a few minutes ago. I couldn't believe that the bank was charging me for the privilege of using my money when they were only paying me a measly thirtyeight CENTS a month in interest. That is a pretty poor ROI. 

I called the Bank to close the account, because the negative cash flow of $14.62 a month could be better spent in oh, so many ways. The poor schelp on the phone named James was very nice, and should be commended for following company policy for politely asking why I was closing the account. I told him I thought it was silly to spend $15 an month in order to earn thirty-eight cents.  He said thank you politely. Just being able to say such things, does have a cathartic effect. I was feeling pretty smart.

Then, again, undoubtably according to company policy, he told me that the Bank did offer another savings account with a lower minimum balance requirement. C'mon!! Now, I was really insulted. I told him, don't you think it is silly to put less money in the bank and make even less than thirty-eight cents a month on it? Then he got sort of huffy, he was only suggesting some options. I hurt his feelings by suggesting that his offer was silly. I don't know how he could really believe that his options made any financial sense at all.

The option I want from the Bank is to put my money some place safer than in my dust-mite-laden mattress. If I never moved a cent out of my savings account, it would be all gone in less than thirty years. Considering I hope to live a bit more than that, a savings account is no way to prepare for retirement. 

My parents and grandparents believed that putting money in the Bank was the only sensible way to live, so long as you didn't put more than $100,000 in any Bank. Times have changed. There doesn't seem to be a good reason for putting money in the Bank unless you have more than $100,000.  Bank services are free then.


No comments:

Post a Comment